Stages of establishment and development
The commercial activities increased after Sudan’s independence in 1956. The need for vehicles to transport export and import goods as well as passengers increased. The importation of various types of vehicles started and it was necessary to develop a police force that is specialized in traffic operations. Accordingly, a decree was issued by the police headquarter leading to the separation of the traffic offices from those of criminal investigation divisions. Khartoum Province was the first to take the initiative for establishing special offices for traffic in 1957. These were located in the building that lies to the South of the current States’ Council and branch offices were established at other locations.
These offices undertake investigations on traffic accidents, organize traffic flow along roads, submit traffic cases and offences to the traffic court that were known at that time as only two of these were at Khartoum and Omdurman. An engineer was seconded from the Mechanical Transport Administration for inspection of vehicles.
In early seventies, the uniform of police was changed in general and especially for traffic police. The white coloured uniform of traffic police appeared for the first time in August 1973. The traffic police continued to cope up with international developments. As part of this, the Nigerian experience for changing the traffic direction from left to right was adopted as an internationally used system. The changes made at that time brought Sudan in line with developments of traffic in the Arabic world and the rest of the world.
Since its establishment, the General Directorate for Traffic passed through various stages of development till it reached where it is nowadays. A brief on the historical development stages of this administration is given below:
The Highway Traffic force was established through the Presidential Decree No. 48 issued on 17th February 1982. It was established as a unit under the Roads and Bridges Administration of the Ministry of Communication and Transport. A police force was seconded to work jointly with the other cadres of engineers, technicians, nurses and labourers.
Based on the Circular No. 33 issued by the General Inspector of Police on 28/6/1982, the Traffic Police Force became a branch under the Transport and Communications Administration at the Police Headquarters and named as Traffic Police Branch.
Following the Decree No. 61 issued by the Head of the Council of Revolution Leadership and Ministers on 10/2/1992, the General Directorate for Traffic was established. And based on the Ministerial Decree No. 50 of 1992 issued by the Head of Council of Revolution and Ministers and the Minister of Interior, the General Directorate for Traffic became one of the five directorates of the General Directorate for Public Order.
The Decree No. 2 of the Director General of Police Forces led to the formation of Traffic and Awareness Administration as a branch of the Public Order Directorate.
On the 1st of May 1999 the Ministerial Decree No. 75 was issued by the Minister of Interior based on the recommendation of the Director General of Police Forces for the establishment of the General Directorate for Traffic.