Omdurman Prison for Men:
This prison was built during the period of Khalifa Abdullahi Mohamed Tor Shain “Altaishi”. It used to be the finance chamber during the live of the Khalifa and then transformed into an official prison called Alsayer Prison.
After the English colonization in 1898 its management was assigned to the Assistant Administrative Secretary for the Prisons Affair. Then after independence in 1956, its management was changed into Prisons Directorate. It was managed by an officer with a colonel rank assisted by officers of various ranks.
- Omdurman prison is characterised by its good location within the middle part of the National Capital. It is considered an accommodation area for all senticed and waiting prisoners.
- The case of public order crimes makes up for the largest part of daily admissions to the prison. This forms a great burden and annoyance for the administration of Khartoum State Prisons and lead to the management to decision to decrease the congestion through daily transfer for groups of prisoners to Soba and Dabak prisons. The latter units suffer from limited capacity and lack of adequate s or necessary supplies. This also led to transfer of prisoners outside the capital to the neighbouring states. This measurement is faced by the objection of the prisoner to the transfer as their sentences did not reach the final stages and some of the prisoners are announced for court sessions of other cases.
- This prison suffers from congestion as its designed capacity is 450 (sentenced + waiting) and some times it may get up to 1,600 sentenced and waiting prisoners. This causes huge problems with the swage system besides the fact that it was not originally designed as a correction establishment that allows for separation of prisoners based on their categories for facilitation of rehabilitation process and implementation of related programs.
- This prison belongs to the Antics and Archeology Authority a thing that makes it difficult to add any buildings or change its architectural plans to cope with needs of the corrections work needs and the authority does not approve any request for changes.
Omdurman Prison for Women:
- This prison is situated at the Western part of Omdurman Province (Hai Almulazmeen). It was part of men’s prison till November 1992 when it was separated and got its own management structure. Lately in 1998, and based on the directives of HE the Minister of Interior, it was transferred due to the increase in number of inmates and limited space at the old building.
- It is managed by an officer of a colonel rank supported by a number of male and female officers.
- It started to receive inmates involved in crimes of non-honoured cheques and civil cases as women got into the trading business.
- Some times the prison get congested with inmates which can go beyond 1300. Normally in such case the situation is addressed through communication with the supervisor of prisons at the Judiciary and a bureau will be formed for releasing the inmates. But these mostly come back quickly with the same crimes (local brewery making) that make this just a temporary measure.
- This prison is considered a specialized centre for receiving inmates at a national level and receives various types of sentences.
- The crimes of alcoholic drinks come at top followed by drugs crimes, full and partial compensation (Diah) for killing, death penalty besides breaking and theft. It also receives those sentenced at other states.
Soba West State Prison
- This is located at a distance of 26 km to the South East of Khartoum along Khartoum-Wad Madani road around 2 km to the East of the national road. It was constructed in 1960. It receives prisoners for long and short sentences especially after transferring the inmates of the Rehabilitation Camp of Geriaf West to it.
- The prison is managed by an officer of colonel rank supported by a number of officers.
- Some additions were made by the Engineering Affairs as it was the party the supervised the sale of Al Geraif prison. These additions were in the form of a fence, offices and wards but these were not enough compared to the number of inmates. While the designed capacity is for 500 inmates the actual number of these might reach 1500 i.e. triple the designed capacity. The congestion was decreased through transferring inmates of short sentences whenever they satisfy conditions for that.
- The prison has a brick making camp near the Rehabilitation Centre at Al Geraif West. This contributes significantly to the maintenance of buildings. it also assists in supporting colleagues whether still in service or retired through provision of bricks at a reduced price. It also supports the service to the inmates through the income and profits generated.
Some data on Soba Prison:
- Depends on farming, bricks production and provision of services to some ministries and government corporations.
- Due to the daily discharge from Odurman prison for men, the Forgiveness Home became the only prison that receive the transferred long-sentenced inmates after the addition of Al Geraif inmates to it.
- The distance of the prison from the capital and the lack of transport means for non-commissioned officers and inmates is a huge problem to its management.
- This was established in the fifties as a rehabilitation centre for receiving juveniles then transformed to receive short-term prisoners.
- It lies to the West of Khartoum Refinery along the Eastern bank of the Nile river in Aljaili Locality of Khartoum North Province at Khartoum State. It is at 75 km from the capital and connected by a tarmac road known as Al Tahadi Road (Aljaili - Shandi).
- The water station for the oil refinery was established to the North of it and the electricity station to the South of it.
- Being adjacent to the Nile River, the prison depends on agriculture.
- It is managed by an officer of Lt. Colonel rank supported by a number of officers.
- Brick-making works were added to it and this led to a wide reputation through its dealing with all government and private bodies as well as companies.
- The location of the prison became unsuitable now as the area became part of the oil refinery. A decree was issued for handing it over to the ministry of energy once they provide an alternative location for it. A committee was formed through a ministerial decree for developing estimates. This is headed by Major General Abu Obeida Suleiman. It has already carried out the study and submitted a proposal for alternative location and estimates of cost.
- The documentation and recommendations were submitted to the Director of the General Directorate.
- It is hoped that the sale will take place soon to provide an opportunity for increasing the capacity for the state’s prisons to receive inmates as the current condition of this prison does not allow for any maintenance or additions.